Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cognitive Process Theory- Flower

This essay written by Linda Flower and John R. Hayes analyzes the cognitive process of writing that many writers use. In the essay, the authors address four specific points which are important to the overall cognitive process. These points include :
1. Writing is best understood as a distinctive thinking process
2. These processes have a hierarchal organization
3. Writing is a goal directed process
4. Writers create their own goals in two ways: Goals and Sub goals
All four points explained by the author summarize that the cognitive process of writing can be looked at as a stage model or predetermined process in which the writer must use to express themselves completely. One of the main themes throughout this essay emphasize that whether the writer chooses for his work to be a planned five step process or think they are just writing freely, all writing is a planned process. Our minds subconsciously plan out what we want to achieve in the writing process. Each writer considers their goals and organizes their work to represent their thoughts.
I can agree with this essay. I have used the writing process since I learned to write. Whether I choose to make a rough draft or pre-writing sheet where I establish my goals, I am always using some type of planning in my head. I think specific points I want to make in a piece of writing and then work around those. Writing really is a cognitive process.

No comments:

Post a Comment